WIX® Announces Top 20 Schools in ‘2013 School of the Year’ Competition
Monday, 16 September 2013
Winning School to Receive $2,500 in Prizes, Trip to AAPEX in Las Vegas
WIX® Filters and O’Reilly Auto Parts, partners with Tomorrow’s Technician as title sponsors for the “2013 School of the Year” competition, have announced the Top 20 schools selected from nearly 160 entrants in the U.S.
“This year’s nominations are a reminder that technical schools across the U.S. continue to embrace automotive training as part of their curriculum,” said Mike Harvey, brand manager for WIX Filters. “These skills are critical to auto technicians being trained in new technologies required to service today’s high-tech, complex vehicle systems.”
The Top 20 schools are:
· Assabet Valley Regional Technical High School – Marlboro, Mass.
· Elizabethtown Technical and Community College – Elizabethtown, Ky.
· Lincoln College of Technology – Columbia, Md.
· Windham Technical High School – Willimantic, Conn.
· Lakewood High School – Lakewood, Ohio
· Sinclair Community College – Dayton, Ohio
· Lincoln College of Technology – Indianapolis, Ind.
· Hoffman Estates High School – Hoffman Estates, Ill.
· Northwest Iowa Community College – Sheldon, Iowa
· Baker College – Flint, Mich.
· Fox Valley Technical College – Appleton, Wis.
· San Jacinto College – Pasadena, Texas
· R.L. Turner Automotive Technology – Carrollton, Texas
· Eastern Oklahoma County Technology Center – Choctaw, Okla.
· Crowley's Ridge Technical Institute – Forrest City, Ark.
· Southeast Community College – Milford, Neb.
· Salt Lake Community College – Salt Lake City, Utah
· Rio Hondo College – Whittier, Calif.
· Westwood College – Denver, Colo.
· Pocatello High School – Pocatello, Idaho
“The ‘School of the Year’ competition has been a great success and we are thrilled with the quality of entrants this year,” said Jeff Stankard, publisher of Tomorrow’s Tech, a Babcox Media publication for automotive students. “Babcox and Tomorrow’s Tech share O’Reilly Auto Parts and WIX Filters’ support to dedicated students vying to be the future leaders in this industry.
“The annual contest is a great way to recognize automotive schools and highlight their instructors’ dedication in training the next generation of auto repairers, collision specialists and heavy-duty service personnel,” he added. “We look forward to more opportunities to reward students’ and instructors’ commitment to automotive excellence.”
This year marks the sixth year of the national contest to find and name the best technician training school in the country. The program is open to all high schools or post-secondary schools that have a subscription to Tomorrow’s Technician. Of the 158 entries for the 2013 contest, 60 were from different high schools, technical schools and colleges.
The 20 schools have been asked to submit a video highlighting their tech programs by Sept. 23. Judges will review the video entries and select four finalists; the winner will be selected from the four finalists and announced in October.
The winning school will receive a visit by Tomorrow’s Technician staff and program sponsors; $2,500 WIX Filters donation to the school’s program; O’Reilly and WIX Filters gear (hats, backpacks, key chains, shop banners and T-shirts, product samples); and an appearance by either the WIX or O’Reilly Auto Parts mobile marketing unit. In addition, the winning school’s instructor and guest will travel to Las Vegas and attend a Babcox Media recognition dinner at AAPEX in November.
Each school that is nominated will receive national recognition on Tomorrow’s Technician’s website, as well as through social media outlets. Schools that are selected to the Final Four receive a professional automotive tool set and a $250 gift card from O’Reilly Auto Parts.
About WIX Filters
Since 1939, Wix® Filters has been an innovator in filtration products. WIX designs, manufactures and distributes products for automotive, diesel, agricultural, industrial and specialty filter markets. Its product line includes oil, air, cabin interior, fuel, coolant, transmission and hydraulic filters for automobiles, trucks, off-road equipment and manufacturing applications. For more information, visit www.wixfilters.com. Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/wixfilters, follow us on Twitter@WIXFilters and visit our YouTube page at youtube.com/TheWIXFilters
About Affinia Group Inc.
Affinia Group Inc. is an innovative global leader in the design, manufacture, distribution and marketing of industrial grade products and services, including extensive offerings of aftermarket products for automotive and heavy-duty vehicles. With approximately $2.0 billion in annual revenue, Affinia has operations in North and South America, Europe and Asia. For more information, visit, www.affiniagroup.com